Brien Law Group
The pillar of strength, honesty, fairness, and truth.


Civil and Criminal Defense Legal Support.


Areas of Practice

Criminal Defense


There are very serious consequences from being convicted of a DUI. Even for your first offense, you will lose your driver’s license and can potentially face jail time. For a second or third offense you will face longer jail time, higher fines and penalties, a longer license suspension, and an Ignition Interlock Device on your car.

Your license, your reputation, and your freedom are on the line when you are convicted of a DUI. Choosing the right Attorney can make all the difference for your future.


The state of Rhode Island takes domestic violence charges very seriously, requiring anyone convicted of a domestic violence crime to face severe penalties which can include jail time, fines, and counseling. These charges can have a major impact on your life with your family and your career. 

Domestic violence charges can apply to the following relationships:

  • a current or former spouse
  • a person related by blood or marriage
  • a person you are dating and/or engaged to
  • a person with whom you currently or have cohabited with
  • a person with whom you have a child


If you refused the breathalyzer test during a DUI arrest, you will have a companion case at the Rhode Island traffic Tribunal.  This is considered a separate civil case and must be dealt with at the same time as your DUI case.  Having the right lawyer makes all the difference in getting the best possible results in both matters.  

License suspensions, speeding tickets, and all other driving offenses are dealt with at the RITT.  Having an experienced Attorney can mean the difference between a lengthy license suspension and no suspension at all.


Any violations considered to be disorderly conduct or “disturbing the peace” are petty misdemeanors.  These charges can remain on your criminal record and have a significant impact on your future.
We have significant experience understanding and defending these charges for people who have found themselves on the wrong side of the law. 


If you have an arrest record, the details are available for all to see. If you apply for a job or try to rent an apartment, a potential employer or landlord will be able to see this negative information as whether or not you were convicted of a crime.

In some cases, we can expunge or seal your records to protect your information from public viewing. This requires filing a Motion for Expungement of your record. 

We have considerable experience in helping people like you put their past where it belongs, behind them.

Small Claims

Have you been wronged?  Feeling there’s no relief available to you?  Many times disagreements arise between family and friends due to breached financial agreements (i.e. personal loans), taking of personal property, or property line disputes (to name a few).  You’ve tried negotiating, but found there was no relief and filing a complaint in Small Claims Court is your only option to get back what has been taken from you.  We can help you.  


As a tenant, you have certain rights; and a landlord has certain obligations.  If you feel your rights have been violated, don’t wait.  Contact us today to learn about your rights and what you can do to preserve them.

Are you a landlord?  Feeling as though your rights are not being protected?  We can help you find relief from having to deal with undesirable tenants.  Contact us today to learn how you can gain relief from a seemingly hopeless situation.

Personal Injury

Have you been injured … whether in an accident or a slip-and-fall incident … and have medical bills / lost wages as a result?  Do you feel you are entitled to financial compensation for your pain and suffering and your family’s suffering as well?  We can help you begin the process to getting the financial compensation and relief you deserve.

To learn more about your specific case and the charges you’re facing you can contact our office today for a free consultation.